New keyword request: Alt retelling....

Back to topics list
[post:444#3892]
Xenoknight

04/22/2010 01:37 AM

Reviews: 244

Consensus time.

After largely updating KissXSis (TV), I noticed that we have no way of letting our readers/visitors know which titles consist of a retelling from a parent title (besides telling them ourselves or in the synopsis).

I suggest a new keyword to simplify things in one easy step. Something along the lines of - alt-retelling, alternate retelling, retelling, alt edition, or maybe even alternate sequel (sequel for being the second title in the related series, but just an alternate/side story).

A couple of titles come to mind that may qualify for this new keyword. I can pretty much assume a bunch of you just had several titles run through your minds as well. There are quite a bit of movies and OVAs that we can tag too.

Thoughts...

[post:444#3894]
Devil Doll

04/22/2010 09:24 AM

Reviews: 365

What about posting a a significant list of animes? I guess the requirement for the new keyword would then become evident. Would Kanon 2002/06 qualify? Hanaukyo Maids vs La Verite? Clannad Movie? When other contributors see the exact list of anime you're talking about they might be able to suggest an appropriate name for the keyword.

Edited on 04/22/2010 09:25 AM.

[post:444#3896]
Jan-Chan

04/22/2010 10:14 AM

Reviews: 599

Hummm....

New keywords are fine, but they will should be general enough to be applied to more than 5(?)+ other titles.

I actually did a clean up some time ago in which I purged the keyword list of any listings that were either redundant or only had a few titles associated with them.

Could you mention five titles that could be applied this new keyword?

[post:444#3897]
Devil Doll

04/22/2010 10:59 AM

One more aspect of this particular issue: Most keywords indicate some aspect of an anime that leads to those tagged with the same keyword forming a group that an anime fan might be interested in, as clicking on the keyword displays the list of anime tagged with this keyword.

Now there are keywords that clearly offer useful information (such as "Action" or "Comedy") and others that are less likely to be of use for the audience ("Series in a Series" comes to my mind). If I were to create a new keyword I would ask myself whether it will be a purely descriptive term or a tag to form a group of anime that might have its own target group; if the second aspect applies I consider this a plus for a keyword.

[post:444#3901]
Xenoknight

04/22/2010 04:20 PM

How about:

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - retelling
KissXSis (TV) - retelling/alt version
Shuffle! Memories - retelling/recap
Eve no Jikan Gekijouban - retelling/summary
Green Green - since the OVA was the original - alt version
Aa! Megami-sama! TV - since the OVA was the original - alt version
Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verite - alt retelling/sequel
Kanon (2006) - retelling/remake
Da Capo: EXT - retelling/recap/extension

I wouldn't say Gekijouban Air and Clannad (Movie) qualify, but they are considered officially as alternate versions.

Edited on 04/22/2010 04:29 PM.

[post:444#3906]
Devil Doll

04/22/2010 11:58 PM

More candidates:
- Evangelion TV vs. End of Evangelion (alternate ending)
- Evangelion TV vs. Death&Rebirth (mostly recap)
- Evangelion TV vs. the new movie series (retelling)
- Silent Möbius (alternate beginning, series rewrites the first movie)
- Wind A Breath of Heart (TV series retells the OVA)
- School Days (ONA is kind of a pilot for the series)
- KGNE Haruka Route (alternate ending)
- Clannad Tomoyo After (alternate path/universe)
- Lodoss Wars (TV series goes far beyond the OVA, with significant changes)
- Kyuuketsuki Miyu OVA vs TV (retelling, different focus of the story)
- Kyo no Go no Ni OVA vs TV (haven't seen the latter)
- Sky Girls OVA vs TV (OVA is kind of a pilot for the series)
- Tenjou Tenge the past chapter (recap)
- Seikai no Monshou & Seikai movies (recap)

[post:444#3907]
Xenoknight

04/23/2010 04:10 AM

That's a healthy list of combined titles. We can even add Clannad: After Story - Kyou Chapter (alt version/universe).

Does anyone else want to name a few or is the order complete?

[post:444#3910]
Xenoknight

04/24/2010 11:25 PM

....And with that:

My main choices would either be Reiteration or Reciprocation. The description would read as follows:

.............: Titles included should represent a repeat or alternate form. If a title falls under notions such as recap, retelling, remake, alternate ending/version/universe; then this keyword should be utilized. Titles such as Kanon (2006), KGNE: Haruka Route, and Shuffle! Memories are good examples of said keyword.

Thoughts....

[post:444#3911]
Stretch

04/25/2010 10:22 AM

Reviews: 2087

Will the average person understand what either of those words means? I've heard of a reciprocating steam engine, but I don't know exactly what that means.

I kind of agree with Devil Doll: is there anybody out there who just likes seeing two different versions of the same story, regardless of what the basic story is?

[post:444#3912]
Xenoknight

04/25/2010 10:57 AM

I disagree.

There are plenty of people who would enjoy seeing certain anime titles redone. Look at FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST for example. I know several people who bent over backwards when I told them Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (alt retelling/version) was coming out. Another example would be KGNE: Haruka Route. How popular was the original and just how long did the masses (some of us included) wait diligently for the alternate ending/universe? Dragon Ball Kai is another retelling that has people going ga-ga.

The more I think about it, it seems that a large portion of fans (the most hardcore otaku especially) would benefit from this keyword.

If the wording is too strong, then we can just use alternate retelling, though I tried to stay away from something so basic.

Edited on 04/25/2010 11:21 AM.

[post:444#3913]
Devil Doll

04/26/2010 11:14 AM

What Stretch was asking is: Does anybody want to watch an unknown show because a tag shows them that this show has an alternative version? This is what the tag would express, not "clustering" a specific franchise such as Kanon or Dragon Ball.

The fact that one particular known show has an alternative version is already expressed by linking to this alternative within the synopsis section. (Introducing a concept for "franchise clustering" was something I suggested a long time ago in order to reduce the maintenance effort for these links.)

Edited on 04/26/2010 11:15 AM.

[post:444#3914]
Stretch

04/26/2010 11:45 AM

Reviews: 2087

Whereas keywords like "comedy" or "ecchi" give the reader an idea of what to expect from a show, "Alt Retelling" wouldn't really tell them anything about the show itself (though it might imply that it must be good to have been redone). Anyway, I think a person would be more likely to notice a link to another alternate version of a show if they saw it mentioned in the synopsis section. I know that I seldom read every keyword when I'm looking at a new page.

[post:444#3915]
Xenoknight

04/26/2010 01:39 PM

I agree mostly with everything you guys are saying, but there is still some misunderstanding. My whole reason for this keyword is that leaving it solely up to the synopsis will force the reader to have to "stumble across" an anime title. If they never clicked on the parent series page, then they never would've known that said title ever had an alt version and they would most likely find out from a different site (if ever at all).

Leaving it solely up to the synopsis also presents the issue of if we forget to link the alternate to the parent title. Having a keyword to remind us would benefit us as well as the reader to ensure all parties involved have an up-to-date series page.

My point is - If you type anime.mikomi.org, you're taken to a list of categories. Unless the homepage (where most people initially come across) is changed from the category page to the what's new page (where the action is), the viewer will have to stumble across certain titles that sound good to them as they read upon other titles in their selected genres and hope that we put a link to any alternates. I know it sounds like I'm not giving the viewers any credit, but I'm just assuming every scenario. Having a quick reference to every title that ever had an alternate version would help those viewers who:

would enjoy seeing certain titles again
would like something to compare the original to
didn't understand the original and would like to see it from a different angle
would like a fresh recap
want to learn more about a title's universe

Let's say for example:

Bob is an avid "blank"-anime fan. He has seen all the seasons and is just surfing through the web and arrives at Mikomi's home page (list of categories). He sees (the new keyword) and doubts that it will have anything to do with his favorite anime. To his surprise, he sees an alternate retelling/ending/version for his anime and goes nuts with joy.

These are the type of viewers I would like to reach out to. Even in the simplest form, the keyword will tell people (as Stretch pointed out) that this title was good enough to have multiple versions. Think of it as a miniature 'Best Bet' list, if you will.

I hope this relates my reasons more clearly.

[post:444#3916]
Devil Doll

04/27/2010 12:26 AM

If Bob were out for this kind of surprise he would be better off with visiting the pages of his favorite genres (where he would see the same redone series but also a lot of unrelated similar ones). And wouldn't a retelling indicate that at least one of the versions were bad enough that a second attempt was considered necessary?

[post:444#3917]
Xenoknight

04/27/2010 02:55 AM

Since this discussion is basically going nowhere really fast, let's agree to disagree and switch to a more technical approach.

Majority trumps all:

2 votes against
1 vote in favor of

2 votes remain (Jan-chan and Forbin).

[post:444#3918]
Jan-Chan

04/28/2010 06:21 PM

I have been thinking about this... and to be honest... it might make some sense in creating this keyword, but (yes there is always a but)... but just how many people would actually want to search on it?

I had the same problem with creating a keyword for Korean Wave and I finally ended up posting it in the NOTABLES field. It did not fit any of the column headings in List By Category screen, but I felt that it should be listed, so I just put it in the NOTABLES list.

Tis one solution....

Edited on 04/28/2010 07:00 PM.

[post:444#3919]
Xenoknight

04/28/2010 07:50 PM

That could work. As long as the option exists for those readers, then it would still benefit all parties.

On the flip side - people are even less likely to click on a notable then a keyword and keeping the notables up-to-date is arguably one of the most time-consuming jobs on Mikomi. It also still forces the reader to have to "stumble across" that initial title to notice the addition and the resulting link (since nobody ever clicks on Notables at the top of the page).

I still think the addition easily fits as a normal keyword, but "compromise" is the name of the game. I'm all for it if there is no other option.

What does the Forbinator think?

Edited on 04/28/2010 08:17 PM.

[post:444#3958]
Xenoknight

05/02/2010 10:02 AM

It's been a couple of days now...

Is there any other objections to this being a keyword or are we really going to settle with it being a notable?

I say it easily fits as a keyword...

[post:444#3986]
Xenoknight

06/03/2010 12:32 AM

Recent developments have entitled me to create the keyword. I've decided upon Replica as my choice. It's something easy to understand and will still portray the general idea.

[post:444#3987]
Jan-Chan

06/03/2010 01:54 PM

Definition of REPLICA ...

rep·li·ca (rpl-k) n.
1. A copy or reproduction of a work of art, especially one made by the original artist.
2. A copy or reproduction, especially one on a scale smaller than the original.

replica
A replica is a model of something, but it is a particular kind of model and the two words are not interchangeable. A model may represent a type of thing rather than a specific example: a model railway, and it may be quite crude and not very much like the original: a pink plastic model of the Taj Mahal. A model may be of something which does not yet exist: engineers sometimes make detailed scale models of things they are planning or constructing. A replica is an exact copy of a specific thing which exists or has existed in the past, and is usually made to scale.

also see ↗Replica

The term ↗Reboot might be more descriptive.

[post:444#3988]
Xenoknight

06/03/2010 01:55 PM

That sounds fine. I'll change it now...

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org