How does one add a new wiki page?

Back to topics list
[post:450#3962]
Jan-Chan

05/29/2010 01:53 PM

Reviews: 599

How does one add a new wiki page?

I have done it in the past and now I can't remember how to do it.... sigh.

http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Franchise Ai Yori Aoshi

[post:450#3963]
Xenoknight

05/29/2010 08:00 PM

Reviews: 244

Just put it like a series page = open bracket + your title + close bracket and the deed is done.

After you add something to it, it will make it official. LOL (^_^)

Edited on 05/30/2010 10:16 PM.

[post:450#3964]
Devil Doll

05/29/2010 08:17 PM

Reviews: 365

You see the way how I included this Wiki page into the synopsis of the anime; the Wiki page was created on the fly by this include directive alone.

The Wiki name spaces page explains many interesting directives.

Candidates for "franchise" entries that I didn't touch (because other reviewers were more active there than me) would be Aa! Megami-sama, Ikkitousen, Da Capo etc. I considered 4 related animes the minimum requirement for a "franchise" entry (thus Silent Möbius didn't qualify).

Edited on 05/30/2010 08:51 AM.

[post:450#3966]
Stretch

05/30/2010 01:57 PM

Reviews: 2087

Are these 'Franchise' entries supposed to replace the sometimes lengthy lists of related series in synopsis sections?

[post:450#3967]
Devil Doll

05/30/2010 03:25 PM

I'm not in a position to make rules for CAR, and thus not in a position to answer your question.

Edited on 05/30/2010 03:27 PM.

[post:450#3968]
Jan-Chan

05/30/2010 03:30 PM

No, not at all...

They are DD's innovative solution to having lists of related titles posted to multiple series pages. We currently have to maintain multiple related-title lists (one for each title page), but using a wiki-page-franchise listing allows us to have one master list.

Make a change to the wiki-master-list and the updates are then posted to all of the related titles.

[post:450#3969]
Stretch

05/30/2010 04:56 PM

OK, I think I understand now.

[post:450#3970]
Xenoknight

05/30/2010 10:47 PM

Hmmmm.....

...an innovative solution? Innovation - agreed

Only one problem. Respect was MIA.

Yes, we promote self proposed improvements to the site. Yes, we promote interesting thoughts. Yes, we promote any and all updates that better the site.

Of course, one doesn't always have to get permission from the "village elders" before one can make a decision, but a little thought goes a long way. Everyone can't always just do what they want. If that were the case, Mikomi would be a very different Mikomi right about now if up and running at all.

I suppose the tactful way of saying it would be - without any consensus, Mikomi will lose one of it's strongest features and what makes it different than other sites. Luckily enough, this "mass media change" wasn't very harmful, but who's to say the next one won't be...

[post:450#3971]
Stretch

05/31/2010 09:55 AM

You might say that Qwaser is Amazer (is that the funniest joke the world has ever known, or what?)

what.

Hey, I've just completed a 'franchise' wiki for the lengthy Votoms subgenre. That wasn't too difficult. It was a pain having to update ten pages after making a change on one, and this should help a lot.

Jan-chan, how did you downscale parts of the info to a smaller font (or whatever the word is)?

Edited on 05/31/2010 11:22 AM.

[post:450#3972]
Jan-Chan

05/31/2010 11:24 AM

to start small fonts ... < small > (no spaces)
and to cease small fonts < /small > (no spaces)

[post:450#3973]
Stretch

05/31/2010 11:37 AM

Thanks. Do you know how to make those "bullet" things, like Devil Doll used?

[post:450#3974]
Devil Doll

05/31/2010 02:37 PM

Just try editing one of my Franchise entries, and you'll see the source code.

Or for more details, read http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Formatting Rules.

Besides, dear Xenoknight, CAR lost the "consensus" a long time ago, and you know very well when that happened. Still, there's a reason why I didn't edit the Aa! Megami-sama and Ikkitousen synopsis.

Edited on 05/31/2010 02:58 PM.

[post:450#3976]
Jan-Chan

05/31/2010 03:15 PM

Hummm..... I agree....

Related-title-lists have been part of MIKOMI for a while. DD's wiki-page innovation is just a better (and easier) method of maintaining these lists.

Edited on 05/31/2010 07:19 PM.

[post:450#3977]
Devil Doll

05/31/2010 04:38 PM

Stretch, if you place a "0" (zero) character at the start of each line in the "Votoms" franchise it would give you an automatically numbered list, and you wouldn't have to manually number each line in the round bracket section (and renumber in case of changing the order or inserting another line later). This would look like:

1. Uoodo City (1983: 13 TV Ep),
  2. Kummen Jungle Wars (1983: 13 TV Ep),
  3. Deadworld Sunsa (1983: 13 TV Ep),
I chose unnumbered bullets for my examples because I didn't consider this number to be a helpful information, even more so as I can't be sure whether a franchise list really contains each and every release available (there might be releases not yet reviewed at ANN, I even included some of these in the .hack franchise), so I was afraid that a numbered list might give the visitor a wrong impression about claiming this kind of completeness.

[post:450#3979]
Stretch

05/31/2010 05:15 PM

Ah, I get it--an asterisk and a space. Thanks. I'm pretty sure that we now have a page for every Votoms series/OVA that has yet been made (including one that hasn't been released yet), but numbers might confuse people about whether that is the order in which the shows were made or the order in which their stories take place within the Votoms canon. Even without numbers the release dates should make it clear that this is a list of the first type. So, I decided to go with 'bullets'.

[post:450#3980]
Devil Doll

05/31/2010 06:49 PM

Having done a couple of franchises, I found different kinds of them with different kinds of helpful ordering systems:

• http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Franchise KOR provided a release order very different from the suggested watching order; I decided to go with the narration order because the Pilot doesn't work well when you don't know the characters already and both OVA may be boring when watched after the first movie, so the watching order is quite important here.
  • http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Franchise DotHack is the most complex case I've come across so far, with practically four different inter-related franchises. After reading the Wikipedia article I tried to form a two-dimensional system that might serve as a decent watching order suggestion.
And there still are borderline cases such as http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Franchise KGNE (use the release order or make Akane Maniax a separate branch?) which I'm not really sure about the best solution; I consider its "architecture" similar to the one of http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Franchise School Days so I decided to use the same concept for both franchises. You see, the include format is one thing but finding a "reasonable" ordering for a particular franchise is something else. (That's why a franchise entry should be created by someone who knows this franchise very well; I wouldn't have dared to do it for Votoms, and I'm not even sure about Ikki Tousen whereas I could do Aa! Megami-sama as I've seen all its animes reviewed here and read the manga.)

My preference is to provide helpful information to visitors who know little about the franchise, thus my suggested watching order (with a minimum of spoiling subsequent releases which can't completely be avoided in case of remakes etc.) would be my highest priority, regardless of the actual release dates. If this isn't a problem then narration order (usually equal to the time line except for flashback arcs that can't be understood by the audience early in the story) would be my second choice (placing the Aa! Megami-sama movie at the end of its franchise even thought it's so old). The release date would get the lowest priority for ordering lines but to indicate this (which may surprise some visitors) I placed these release date to the leftmost column of each line to make them not being my main ordering concept as obvious as possible, instead of merging the release years into the longer descriptive text at the end of each line.

[post:450#3981]
Xenoknight

05/31/2010 07:30 PM

What an absurd notion. What in the world does that even mean?!?!

CAR lost the "consensus" a long time ago, huh

That's interesting seeing how there are still a handful of reviewers that always let everyone know what changes they make and would like to make/add. If we are the only ones who are going to follow a "defunct rule" (which is really just the golden rule in disguise), then I trust there will never be another objection to any changes made to the site.

Some have already mentioned to Rebecca that a command structure should be implemented, but I won't agree to pure chaos...

[post:450#3982]
Stretch

05/31/2010 07:46 PM

This is getting complicated! I decided to use a Lodoss-like structure, and categorize the shows as the basic series, prequels, sequels, and a spinoff. You've clearly put a lot of thought into this.

[post:450#3984]
Xenoknight

05/31/2010 09:38 PM

for listing/reminding purposes, we still need:

xxxHolic (6 titles now), Pokemon, Dragonball series, and probably more...

Da Capo is done. The Naruto, Bleach, Nanoha, and Ikkitousen tabs are open and en route...

Edit: Nanoha and Ikkitousen are complete. Naruto and Bleach are en route...

Edited on 06/03/2010 02:33 AM.

[post:450#3985]
Devil Doll

05/31/2010 10:32 PM

It's not like anyone would "need" to convert those entries all at once. CAR didn't have one standard synopsis format until now, so I don't see the need to hurry.

I only did a dozen in a row in order to get enough experience with the concept and enough different cases to check whether the ancient original idea would be feasible, with the result being my previous posting.

But if anyone actually happens to enjoy this type of task then some of the potential franchises might be Hajime no Ippo (4), Mahoromatic (4), Naruto (4), Rurouni Kenshin (4), School Rumble (4), Suzumiya Haruhi (4), Vandread (4), Fullmetal Panic (5), Genshiken (3+2), Digimon (6), Inuyasha (6), Nodame Cantabile (6), Fullmetal Alchemist (7), Macross (7), Dragonball (9), Dirty Pair (9), Shakugan no Shana (14), and Tenchi Muyou! (17). (Which was just browsing Ggultra2764's review list... I wouldn't consider myself qualified to touch any one of these.)

We could split the task for each franchise in two parts, one being the technical part of merging all existing links to anime of a franchise together into one Wiki entry and adding the include statements (which could be done by anyone, for example by me who doesn't want to place a lot of work onto the shoulders of others just because of my idea getting implemented), the other being the editorial part of editing one particular franchise entry, writing the descriptive texts and specifying an appropriate order (which should be done by a fan of the franchise).

EDIT: All Franchise entries mentioned in this posting are now created and linked to from (hopefully) all anime entries.

Edited on 06/08/2010 03:52 PM.

[post:450#4806]
Rebecca

12/17/2010 01:21 AM

Reviews: 23

The user aldabright is, as best I can tell, just a spammer. They created an account and made only that post, and put one of those URLs in their profile too. I've removed them and the replies to them.

Edited on 12/17/2010 01:22 AM.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org