FIXED: What's New lag now causes misinformation to appear!

Back to topics list
[post:320#2899]
Xenoknight

09/11/2008 09:02 PM

Reviews: 244

Before our server crash a few days ago, the What's New lag was managable but after the crash the lag has almost tripled in length. Not only that but it seems that it now comes with misinformation such as "… updated the keywords" where the keywords were never touched at all and "… updated the urls" where I only go there if I add a new series myself. The site seems to be adding updated information that was never updated. It will show on the What's New page but when checked, the information in question is untouched! It seems weird and I thought I should bring it to your attention Rebecca. Sorry to bug you with this small stuff.

Has anyone else noticed it? I've seen it happen twice already.

[post:320#2900]
Rebecca

09/11/2008 09:38 PM

Reviews: 23

Well, I'm gonna tell you without any doubt that there is no relationship between any delay in the what's new page being generated and entries in the what's new being wrong. Totally unrelated mechanisms.

The what's new page was on the same schedule as it was on the previous server-- once every 10 minutes (on the 10 min mark). Since it no longer takes an appreciable amount of time to generate I'm gonna cut that back (and I might just make it live again).

As for the bogus "updates" I'm gonna bet it's related to what I thought was a totally cosmetic change...

It used to be that keywords, for instance, were always listed in whatever the database order was-- that is to say, it was arbitrary and unpredictable. I changed it to be alphabetical. I'm wondering if that had something to do with it... I'll look into it.

Edited on 09/14/2008 04:11 PM.

[post:320#3008]
Rebecca

09/19/2008 09:44 PM

Ok, with some more reports (about the same set of events Xenoknight mentions) I've figured out where the "misinformation" came from! You did in fact change the keywords for the series in question Xenoknight. But not in any way that you could have known! =D

What happened was this:

1. Xenoknight opened a series up to edit and started writing his review.

2. Devil Doll happened to be working on the site at the same time and made some keyword and URL changes on the series Xenoknight was reviewing.

3. Xenoknight finished writing his review and submited it.

What happened at step 3 is not only did it submit the review, but also the state of the series (synopsis, keywords, etc) at the time that he'd first hit the edit link. The result was that it reverted Devil Doll's changes. Xenoknight couldn't have actually seen this.

This is what's called a ↗race condition. I knew this one was there from the get-go but had written it off as too unlikely to worry about on a site with as low an edit volume as this one. (And even on big sites, like, say, Wikipedia, they still have this same race condition, as getting rid of it without causing other problems is Hard.)

Anyway, one thing I could do to is make it so that instead of submitting everything as it was when you started editing, I could make it only submit the things that you've changed while editing. You'll still have race conditions if, say, both you and someone else change keywords at the same time. But this way you won't revert someone else's keyword changes when you're just updating your review. (As was the case here.)

[post:320#3009]
Xenoknight

09/19/2008 10:21 PM

Well, well, well... thats gives some more evidence that DD was wrong and it "WAS" a huge misunderstanding after all. I hope he reads this soon and decides to make amends so we can get his butt back on here.

Here is the post that started DD's rage: Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verité - Shotacon (Post #2915). My promblem came from: A new Harem genre... (Post #2895).

Huge misunderstanding indeed!

Anyone who knows DD's email, please let him know the truth is revealed at last.

Edited on 09/19/2008 10:28 PM.

[post:320#3010]
Xenoknight

09/19/2008 10:30 PM

I know that took alot of work to dig up Rebecca so...

Thank you!

[post:320#3027]
Devil Doll

09/20/2008 06:02 AM

Reviews: 365

That's just like you, again making false accusations. After all, you did (accidentally) remove that category and the What's New report was correct - but of course you now say that I was wrong... What we actually have proof of now is that you were wrong (because of not knowing how the software works here) as for claiming to not have changed the entry.

You're not to blame for not knowing this. But you are to blame for using that opportunity to start a defamation campaign against me that very moment while I merely stated a fact (and politely asked you a question about it). Had you just said "I didn't do it" (or rather "I'm not aware of having done this", which would have been the truth) and nothing else then all of this wouldn't have happened.

Everything you wrote from "I don't agree with the keyword anyway" was unrelated to the issue and only served to discredit me - just like you do that in this posting again.

But as your behavior is generally accepted here, feel free to continue this way. I won't care any more.

Edited on 09/20/2008 06:26 AM.

[post:320#3028]
Xenoknight

09/20/2008 07:09 AM

For crying out loud...

He just doesn't get it does he? The foundation of your case of been disproved! You don't want to give in that you did have some wrong doings do you? You blamed me in Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verité - Shotacon (Post #2915) and THAT POST ABOVE CLEARY REVEALS THAT THIS WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING!!!!!!!!! IT IS RIGHT THERE IN BLACK TEXT! RIGHT THERE IN POST FIXED: What's New lag now causes misinformation to appear! (Post #3008)!!!! LOOK AT LINE 6!!! ITS NUMBER 2 ON THE LIST!!!!!! THIS WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING!!!!!!

I apologized for what I did (though I'm starting to regret apologizing) and put it behind me but you refuse to accept it and keep calling me the bad guy! If you want me to lie and say I was "completely" at fault, then your dreaming.

False accusations!!! NAME ONE FALSE ACCUSATION?!?! Anywhere - Please - Name One - Everything I ever said was true and I gave reasons why!!!

You started this by "stealing" my idea in A new Harem genre..., and never even turned your head to realize that you still owe me an apology. As long as you hold on to the idea that you didn't start this, I guess nobody can help you afterall.

Edited on 09/20/2008 07:17 AM.

[post:320#3029]
Rebecca

09/20/2008 07:19 AM

Xenoknight: Saying "I told you so" is really, really obnoxious. The best it can possibly do is stir up drama. There's no excuse for that. Please, LET. IT. GO. Honestly I find your posts regarding this (including the ones here) absolutely infuriating. Your posts make it look like you're more interested in "scoring points with the judges" so to speak, that is, winning a debate, then you are in actually understanding anyone else's point of view. (Please actually read what I wrote here... these are observations about what your posts convey to others [well, me anyway], not claims about how you felt posting them. Saying "THAT'S NOT TRUE" as you have previously when I've talked about how I've interpreted your posts will just show that you really didn't pay attention.)

I'm gonna tell you, DD has on many times made me curse my screen for one reason or another. So I do have some sympathy. That said, I try to rewrite my posts until the emotion has drained back a bit though, and more often then I'd care to admit, once I've done that I find DD is right. The number of times that a reply has started out snarky but ended up as "thank you for your bug report" or "that's been fixed"... =p

Edited on 09/20/2008 07:48 AM.

[post:320#3030]
Xenoknight

09/20/2008 07:28 AM

He won't admit defeat! I didn't say "I told you so" (though I really wanted to - believe me I wanted to) but he thinks he is above apologizing to me. My claim stills stands that I never removed the keyword. I never went to "keywords" and clicked Shotacon to remove it regardless of what the coding says. THIS WAS A MISUNDERSTADING but DD is not being practical or reasonable at all. If anything, this is his fault still because I was in the editing page first writing my review and DD came waltzing in and changed those things in question.

Unbelievable...

Edited on 09/20/2008 08:11 AM.

[post:320#3032]
Devil Doll

09/20/2008 10:31 AM

Reviews: 365

Xenoknight, if you came here for scoring points for adding new categories, you got a serious problem. CAR is a commmunity. Categories are created to serve as infrastructure for reviewers and readers, not to claim personal ownership or even a copyright for them. Your statement that I "stole your idea" only shows that you don't consider CAR a community but a platform for your nice little ego trip.

And if you believe that I am going to apologize for you insulting me over and over and over again for no particular reason, you got another serious problem. This is not about a misunderstanding, it's about you sounding hostile in each and every one of your postings... something that Rebecca confirmed more than once already.

And it is about you posting untruth. I did not ask you whether you intentionally deleted Shotacon (which you did not), I asked you whether you deleted Shotacon (which you did, inadvertently). Instead of even considering that you might have deleted the setting in the process, you erroneously assumed the "What's New" report were wrong (which we all now know was not the case) and even started a flame war against me based on this wrong assumption. And you still continue that flame war.

Edited on 09/20/2008 10:55 AM.

[post:320#3033]
Xenoknight

09/20/2008 10:47 AM

Its alright buddy.

I forgive you...

Have a nice day today alright and I wish you luck, fortune, and blessings.

Edited on 09/20/2008 11:02 AM.

[post:320#3034]
Stretch

09/20/2008 11:05 AM

Reviews: 2087

Hi, Devil Doll:
I was going to send you a private e-mail, but your address isn't listed here. I just wanted to say that I was glad to see that you had at least edited a forum reply, so you must not have sworn off Mikomi altogether (at least not yet). I hope you haven't taken offense at the longtime members here not forcefully taking your side in this argument. Some people just have a talent for stirring up trouble, and there's no way to convince them to change their minds. But I'm afraid that if I don't do something we'll never hear from you again. Losing you would be a disaster for CAR/Mikomi, because I've come to the conclusion that you are the best reviewer at this website, the one who never misses anything and reaches the most logical conclusions--after all, who else could have understood Evangelion?

And, what would happen to me if my computer broke down again?

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org