Haruhi Suzumiya Description Question

Back to topics list
[post:169#1399]
AstroNerdBoy

07/31/2006 03:47 AM

Reviews: 419

In Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, the following information was placed in the description:

The series was shown out of order in Japanese TV. Kyoto Animation wanted a certain episode to be shown last instead of in the middle of the series. So to keep the suspense going they shuffled the episode (like Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction) which in turn generated even more interest in the series. The DVD release will contain all episodes in original order.

I didn't question the information, and indeed added the DVD breakdown which a/o this writing follows. So in simple, who put that there and can you source is?

I ask because on ToonZone's anime forum, I gave my thoughts about the series, making mention that I saw it in chronological order (based on the novels and short stories), and that frankly the series isn't all that. Indeed, I see what was done with the order, though designed, as a gimmick and nothing more. Since this is the current darling title of anime fandom (with so many people going orgasmic over it), needless to say this doesn't set well with folks. That's fine, but the one area they are challenging me is the DVD order. I have stated, based on what was put here, that the DVD release will be in chronological order. If that happens, it will take the wind out of their sails, sending them into a melancholy. lol SO I'm most keen to know where it is mentioned that the DVD release will play them in the proper chronological order.

[post:169#1400]
Forbin

07/31/2006 05:13 AM

Reviews: 478

I put it in there ANB.

I will have to look it up but it was quoted from the Director of KyoAni that they wanted a 'Certain' (now known as the episode where Haruhi shows her power) episode to be shown last. It then further stated that the DVD release will show it in proper order EXCEPT for the Adventures of Mikuru-Chan, which will be on the first DVD.

If you have time to look it up, I think it was on Animesuki.

[post:169#1401]
Devil Doll

07/31/2006 09:53 AM

Reviews: 365

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes

[post:169#1402]
AstroNerdBoy

07/31/2006 11:44 AM

Yeah, I saw that like DD, but 1) it says nothing about the DVD release and 2) because it is Wikopedia, if it doesn't list a source, I doubt they'd accept it. We are talking some fans who believe this anime to possibly be the best thing done this decade and as such won't easily accept that the series will be shown in chronological order on the DVD release. ^_^; After all, they claim that I should have watched the show in the scrambled order (which I know Forbin did, and he did enjoy it) and the reason I don't "get" the show is because I didn't watch it this way. Of course that's strange seeing how the chronological episodes 1-6 are from FIRST novel, the amature film appears to be a compression of the 2nd novel, and the rest appear to be short stories.

Anyway, I don't mean to vent here (not that I'm angry or anything), but ever since Divergence Eve where the series started with what should have been episode 12, I've refused to knowingly go for stuff that is purposely shown out of order.

Forbin, I'll look at AnimeSuki.

[post:169#1403]
Devil Doll

07/31/2006 12:33 PM

Reviews: 365

How would AnimeSuki more reliable than Wikipedia?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6430&page=25

[post:169#1404]
Stretch

07/31/2006 03:16 PM

Reviews: 2087

At ToonZone, ANB, are you talking about "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Series Talkback (Spoilers)"? Were you operating under a different name there? Or is there another page that I missed?

One thing I'm curious about this show is this: If the home movie episode was really an "OVA", how did an OVA get made before the series even aired on TV? Was the OVA released to the general public first, then incorporated into the run as a 14th episode (I mean first episode--well, you know what I mean)?

[post:169#1405]
Forbin

07/31/2006 04:09 PM

Reviews: 478

Simple answer.

Because KyoAni wanted to. Hehe

[post:169#1406]
AstroNerdBoy

07/31/2006 06:00 PM

Devil Doll -- it isn't so much that AnimeSuki is more reliable that Wikipedia, but the forums on AnimeSuki have people that can be questioned and provide sources. There appears to be at least a couple of people who've read the Japanese novels/short stories the anime is based on.

Stretch -- no, I'm still AstroNerdBoy. It should be on the last (or toward the last) page.

As to the home movie, I can find nothing anywhere that ID's it as an OAV. It seems as if it were aired on TV first and was labled "Episode 00."

Well, I have to check the AnimeSuki board.

[post:169#3024]
Xenoknight

09/20/2008 01:20 AM

Reviews: 244

I just hope they bring season 2 to fruition. It would be a Blockbuster title.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org