Structuring a reviewer's entries by categories

Back to topics list
[post:511#5015]
Devil Doll

04/24/2011 10:04 AM

Reviews: 365

CAR has a feature of filtering anime entries by category, and even allows to add ever more categories for a finer filtering mechanism.

Would it make sense to filter the anime reviewed by one particular reviewer by the same mechanism? Which means to add a comparison with the reviewer ID to the logic of the "by category" mechanism (as one additional CGI parameter), and provide a link to this page on the reviewer's page ("this reviewer's anime by category").

What's more, each of the reviews in question would then have exactly one matching review (by this reviewer), so it would be possible to add the numbers of "Buy", "Rent", "Watch", "Avoid" and "Unevaluated" ratings for this subset of reviews (and perhaps even accumulate them to some average score) and list these on the result page, allowing to see which average score a particular reviewer gave for a particular category combination (ultimately allowing to identify the reviewer's favorite categories by given ratings).

Then add a "sort by descending rating of this reviewer" to the SQL code (and perhaps use the sum of the numeric fields as tie-breaker), and the resulting feature would allow to list the favorite "Drama" / "Sci-Fi" titles reviewed by Ggultra2764 sorted by his rating, or the favorite "Ecchi" / "Comedy" titles reviewed by Stretch sorted by his rating, and so on.

Example URLs might be: http://anime.mikomi.org/by-reviewer-key/1552/Drama/Sci-Fi, http://anime.mikomi.org/by-reviewer-key/628/Ecchi/Comedy

The list should contain only real anime entries, no alternate title entries.

Edited on 04/24/2011 10:11 AM.

[post:511#5024]
Rebecca

04/28/2011 12:21 PM

Reviews: 23

I've mostly added this as described, except that it just buidls on by-rev. So the examples would be: http://anime.mikomi.org/by-rev/1552/Drama/Sci-Fi, http://anime.mikomi.org/by-rev/628/Ecchi/Comedy

This uses exactly the same mechanism as the main listings so filtering out alternate titles is non-trivial.

Should the list of categories be above the title listing (as it is now) or below?

[post:511#5028]
Devil Doll

04/29/2011 01:35 AM

I wasn't thinking about the feature to forcibly be embedded into the reviewer's page (then again, as the anime list is already embedded there the genre filter isn't that much more information), more like allowing these links to be placed on words in the description text, such a Ggultra2764's "I'm mostly a fan of drama, comedy, and romance anime". Forcibly embedding the list makes the reviewer page longer and perhaps more CPU intensive; a link "reviews of this reviewer by category" to the now embedded part as an additional line in the line below the "reviews" and "post" counters would suffice (perhaps even put that link on the line with the review count, i. e. on "Reviews: 454" and add a tooltip to explain what this link will do? This would require an URL not equal to the reviewer page).

And an option to exclude all "Alternate Title" lines (no matter which URL syntax you choose) might be helpful to keep the list a lot shorter, and thus better readable. (I still see "A Kite: See Kite" on this page, that's what I wanted to be suppressed.)

Sorting by the reviewer's rating would of course also help to put the most rewarding results on top of the list, not requiring subsequent pages to be computed and read by the user. In that case, the field "Rating" (which currently holds the average rating for the anime) should show only the rating by this reviewer (so that the visitor can see at once that this list is sorted by rating descending).

Compared to these, the actual layout of the page is of minor importance for me. And it's really cool to see how fast this feature was implemented now - thanks!

Edited on 04/29/2011 01:48 AM.

[post:511#5031]
Rebecca

04/29/2011 10:26 AM

Reviews: 23

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: I wasn't thinking about the feature to forcibly be embedded into the reviewer's page (then again, as the anime list is already embedded there the genre filter isn't that much more information),

Yeah, that is a good point-- I'm not really happy with how it all looks right now. Kind of too much. Maybe there should be links from the reviewers page to the list of all reviews and the list by category, respectively?

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: more like allowing these links to be placed on words in the description text, such a Ggultra2764's "I'm mostly a fan of drama, comedy, and romance anime".

Ahh, I understand.

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: Forcibly embedding the list makes the reviewer page longer and perhaps more CPU intensive;

CPU isn't a concern... the server runs below 10% capacity.

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: a link "reviews of this reviewer by category" to the now embedded part as an additional line in the line below the "reviews" and "post" counters would suffice (perhaps even put that link on the line with the review count, i. e. on "Reviews: 454" and add a tooltip to explain what this link will do? This would require an URL not equal to the reviewer page).

I'll play with some different representations.

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: And an option to exclude all "Alternate Title" lines (no matter which URL syntax you choose) might be helpful to keep the list a lot shorter, and thus better readable. (I still see "A Kite: See Kite" on this page, that's what I wanted to be suppressed.)

Like I said, that's non-trivial, so no promises that I'll do it any time soon. The work thus far was very minor. Not that your request is super complicated, but it's more then just gluing together existing components which is what I've been doing thus far.

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: Sorting by the reviewer's rating would of course also help to put the most rewarding results on top of the list, not requiring subsequent pages to be computed and read by the user. In that case, the field "Rating" (which currently holds the average rating for the anime) should show only the rating by this reviewer (so that the visitor can see at once that this list is sorted by rating descending).

The underlying code does have a ordering option... I'll look into what it would take to support that.

@Devil Doll in 5028 wrote: Compared to these, the actual layout of the page is of minor importance for me. And it's really cool to see how fast this feature was implemented now - thanks!

Well, honestly, the layout is pretty important to me. =p And a lot of what you're asking for is, from my point of view, really layout more then anything. The speed came from me being able to cobble it together from existing parts.

Edited on 04/29/2011 10:56 AM.

[post:511#5035]
Ggultra2764

04/29/2011 11:54 AM

Reviews: 2354

The new page format for profiles takes up quite a bit of space, but I can live with it as the page is still nowhere as data intensive to load as most other sites I visit online. With the way it is set up now, I can filter out reviews through different means and get a sense of how many reviews I made for titles by genre, format, target audience, etc...

[post:511#5038]
Devil Doll

04/29/2011 04:21 PM

The core idea behind this thread was data mining. The regulars here have given hundreds of ratings, so evaluating these systematically might provide some interesting results about their attitude about anime in general. I'm using my (numerical) ratings (not the review content) in three other, larger anime portals none of which provides such an access method; CAR already having this "category projection" mechanism looked the most promising platform for getting anything implemented in this direction.

One task might be to find the most frequently used keywords (as mentioned by Ggultra2746 above), another one might be to find the keywords whose anime the reviewer likes best as expressed by their given ratings. (I have certainly watched quite a few romantic and even ecchi comedies by now but most likely my ratings for drama, slice of life and depression are much higher on average. Then again, my impression might be wrong.)

As of now, each category keyword on a reviewer's page has the number of anime with this keyword in round brackets. Imagine these round brackets to also contain the number of "Buy", "Rent", "Watch", "Avoid" + "Unevaluated" ratings given to anime of this keyword by said reviewer, then you would be able to see both the qualitative and quantitative priorities at one glance.

Example for Devil Doll: "Josei (4 : 1/1/0/0+0 = 2.50)" (meaning: 4 anime total, of which 1 "Buy", 1 "Rent", 0 "Watch", 0 "Avoid", and 2 "Unevaluated", with an average score between "Buy" and "Rent", assuming Buy=3, Rent=2, Watch=1, Avoid=0, thus (3+2)/2=2.50; feel free to choose a more appropriate score-averaging formula and display format if you wish, for me it's all about the semantics).
If this would be too cryptic and/or space intensive then only show the average score in the round bracket and use tooltips for the details (then perhaps with some longer explanation for each value). Also, this numeric data need not necessarily be embedded into the category selection dialog, it just looks attractive to use when having the category selector at hand as link on the category name on whatever page this information were available. (Having these calculated numbers on a separate page with a different page layout might allow for different features, such as sorting the keywords by number of anime reviewed resp. average reviewing score by said reviewer in linear lists, neither of which the current layout allows to see at first sight.)

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org