For those who saw Kimagure Orange Road completely...

Back to topics list
[post:173#1421]
KBanger1

09/19/2006 04:38 PM

Reviews: 118

I'd like to find out if you believe that KOR should have ended where the series ended or where the OVA ends it with Kyosuke and Madoka without Hikaru. My dilemma is that the series ending was good and not a complete close. Rather an open opportunity to really expand the series. While the OVA itself brings complete closure yet feel makes me feel empty. It's like feeling that the series was not up to par with the OVA and that the OVA should have happened instead of what could have happend. Hopefully, someone could shed some light on this because it's bugs me a bit when watch it. If I missed something, please let me know.

[post:173#1422]
Jan-Chan

09/19/2006 05:52 PM

Reviews: 599

Yeh .. yeh .. yeh... I like the series too. But it had to end somewhere .. somehow .. (and were we really surprised?)

I tend to discount the OVA episodes as they only prolong the series, while not adding anything of significance to the story (or the romance). FYI - OVAs typically will have a higher budget than the TV series and will commonly be of a better quality (as is the case here). And since most OVAs tend to be released AFTER the TV series, they have been known to stray and play with the series story line.

If you enjoyed the series, then you will have to watch Shin Kimagure Orange Road: So Shite, Ano Natsu No Hajimari, which takes place just after Kimagure Orange Road: Ano hi ni Kaeritai and dares to show a bit of what Kyosuke's future life is like. (It is a really a fun movie that actually adds more depth and details to the basic story.)

[post:173#1423]
Forbin

09/19/2006 06:38 PM

Reviews: 478

I prefer it ending right where the Movie 1 ended. It was the best episode of the whole series.

[post:173#1424]
Devil Doll

09/19/2006 07:12 PM

Reviews: 365

7 of 8 OVA episodes play before the series ending and only provide side stories; "Message in Rouge" provides some kind of progress (Madoka has to rely on Kyosuke) but doesn't provide any "closure" to the story.

Actually, there had to be two endings, answering two questions. The first question was: Why are Madoka and Kyosuke destined for each other? This question is answered in episodes 47 & 48 of the series. The second question was: Why, when and how will Kyosuke eventually break up the triangle and chose Madoka over Hikaru? This question is answered in the first movie, IMHO the highlight of the whole franchise because it's no more silly ESP comedy.

The second movie is more like a "cash cow release" but fortunately not a complete loss, and fans of the series will have a nice ride deeper into the future, although this movie was far from being necessary (and it is a silly ESP comedy at times).

[post:173#1425]
AstroNerdBoy

09/19/2006 07:19 PM

Reviews: 419

Yeah, but that 2nd movie did have progress between Madoka and Kyousuke as that's where she stopped calling him "Kasuga-kun." That was a sweet, sweet moment that spoke volumes to me since it came naturally to her. ^^ And this movie is where Kyousuke finally stopped refering to Madoka as "Ayukawa." It wasn't as sweet because he had trouble making the conversion, but she rewarded him for it. ^^

The OAVs should be watched during the watching of the TV series, as Devil Doll suggested (and which I ignored to my regret).

So for me, the OAV's can be skipped and I loved the two movies, so the 2nd movie is a nice conclusion IMO.

[post:173#1426]
Devil Doll

09/19/2006 07:25 PM

Reading KBanger1's review on the 1st Movie, this is what is referred to as "OVA" in the postings above. I recommend editing the review to make that more clear.

[post:173#1427]
KBanger1

09/19/2006 09:53 PM

Ok, I fixed the OVA mistakes on my review. I've seen Summer's Beginning and the OVAs of the franchise and those were ok. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the tv series was trying to convey. Was it Kyosuke trying to make a decision between Ayukawa and Madoka or was it to get Madoka to finally admit her feelings to Kyosuke? Or even, was it Kyosuke getting Ayukawa to admit her feelings and trying to keep the triangle going? That's why I felt the movie was forcing closure instead of letting really play out. Am I crazy to think that or what?

[post:173#1428]
Forbin

09/20/2006 02:45 AM

Very crazy.

Kyosuke was being the typical 17 year old male. To have 2 chicks after him at the same time. The chick he really wants (Madoka) and the backup or also ran girl (Hikaru).

That is your typical hormonal teenager's absoulte perfect fantasy.

[post:173#1429]
Forbin

09/20/2006 02:48 AM

Doh! No Edits..

Now that he is in college He is 18-19, he saw Madoka pulling him away and Hikaru coming in for the kill and he realized that he wants to be with Madoka.

So the movie shows his more serious side. The TV series was just a comedy about a boy growing up. With Psychics.

[post:173#1430]
Devil Doll

09/20/2006 12:52 PM

Kyosuke did some extraordinarily stupid things during the series, such as dating both girls simultaneously (meaning the same day and time, using his psychic abilities). This is the typical silly teenager comedy, and without Madoka I would have stopped watching this series. Compared to this phase, the Movie shows a much more reasonable character who's finally aware of the consequences of his own actions - which I prefer a lot.

[post:173#1431]
AstroNerdBoy

09/21/2006 03:59 AM

Reviews: 419

Yeah, Madoka is the reason to watch the series. ^_^

You know, in the begining, Madoka was hot-and-cold toward Kyousuke. So when Hikaru-chan became an easy girlfriend, I understood him going for her. However, once Madoka stopped being cold toward him, his keeping an attachment to Hikaru-chan became less and less understandable. OK, I understand him not wanting to hurt Hikaru-chan's feelings, but what about Madoka's feelings?

But suffering through the TV series made the movies that much sweeter to me. ^_^

[post:173#1432]
KBanger1

09/21/2006 05:11 AM

Ok, so what I'm guessing out of all of this is that the serious tone that Kimagure Orange Road: Ano hi ni Kaeritai takes made the characters more appealing that the silliness of what the series brought. Instead of Kyosuke using his powers and screwing up, he finally makes his choice and grows up about it. Hmm, I got a lot to learn.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org