Purpose of this list?

Back to topics list
[post:176#1472]
Devil Doll

09/29/2006 06:40 PM

Reviews: 365

Devil Doll: Which potential operation is to be performed on this list? When I need a number of an anime, I can search for its title (and click on the result entry - I've already asked Rebecca to use generic links with the series number instead of named links as to save this additional click, a mouse-over would suffice in this case). And if I need a list of all animes in alphanumerical order, that's what the "By Title" link already provides. What's more, who would maintain such a list when new animes were to be added? If this list is really needed then Rebecca should generate it with a script on their server, accessing the database content.

[post:176#1473]
Stretch

09/29/2006 07:19 PM

Reviews: 2087

Sometimes I would like to include a link to another show which I draw comparisons with, but I'm very lazy, and if I have to go to "By Title", find the right page, click on the right show, then backspace to undo each step and return myself to where I started, I often decide it isn't worth it (especially when the computer isn't running at top speed and each step takes 30 seconds or so). So I thought maybe it would be worthwhile to compile a list (especially if I want the numbers of more than one show). As long as Rebecca doesn't mind, I figured I would maintain the list--it's not supposed to be exhaustive, just to contain shows that seem likely (to me) to be referenced. Of course if anyone else finds it useful, they could add titles/numbers as well. I haven't used it yet (and maybe it will turn out to be a waste of time), but as long as the series' numbers aren't changed the only problem I can think of might be finding an easy Series Number Index.

[post:176#1474]
Devil Doll

09/29/2006 09:49 PM

The Reviewer pages contain the auto-generated (and as such auto-maintained) list of all animes this person reviewed so far, and I added a list of my favourite animes (which I use to reference to a lot) to my page. Would this list in your case be any different from the list of animes you want to link to?

If I am actually looking for an anime then the "Search Titles" form IMHO is a lot more efficient than the excessively long "By Title" list. I use this search every time when I link to "related" animes within some synopsis of an anime I didn't review myself.

By the way, even in your case I wouldn't have to go back and forward. After all there's tabbed browsing, I keep as many tabs open in my Firefox browser as I need, which may well be half a dozen while editing some review: The review page, my reviewer page, a "Search Titles" resultlist and whatnot.

If you still want to maintain that page I'd suggest you replace the names by normalized links to the series, using the number instead of the name. This means you can see the number by hovering the mouse over the link (the URL is displayed in the browser's status line) but also open a new window/tab for that anime in case you need more information about it. (That's why I asked Rebecca to use normalized links in the auto-generated list of reviewed pages below the Reviewer pages, which would save me one mouse click to get the actual number.)

[post:176#1475]
Stretch

09/30/2006 11:59 AM

Reviews: 2087

I gave up on "Search Titles" several years ago, because my impression was that unless you had the exact title, perfectly spelled and punctuated, you seldom reached the page you were looking for as quickly as you could by using "By Title". But I took a look at it today for the first time in several years and it appears that it's been upgraded since then (and you can even link to other websites? When did that begin?).

<br>

Sometimes, while editing a review, I would like to go check something on another page (or cut some lines from another page and paste them onto the review I'm working on). In that case, so that I don't have to post the incomplete review, I open a second link to Mikomi and switch back and forth between the two. But, like I said, I'm very lazy (or should I say impatient?). I remember it used to be that anytime you included the title of a show in a review, a link was automatically created to the aforementioned show--I kinda liked that. But some titles (or abbreviations, like AYA for Ai Yori Aoshi), double as ordinary words or character's names, so sometimes links would be created when they weren't appropriate or desired. As a result, the software was changed and nowadays we must create our own links. It would be nice if a person could specify that he/she wanted a title which had been mentioned in a review to become a link as well--maybe by enclosing it in brackets, or some other form of punctuation? But I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me (Rebecca).

[post:176#1476]
Devil Doll

09/30/2006 11:37 PM

You can only specify that a text section should be a link to the anime of the same name when there is an anime of said name - which can change any time by renaming this anime, leaving a broken reference pointing nowhere.

Therefore the explicit links using the anime number are the only reliable way to link to an anime, because the number of the anime will never change. Consequently Rebecca should use these links everywhere in their software, which includes search results and the list of animes below the reviewers' page; the old method should be completely removed from this site to teach everyone the one and only reliable method.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org