Categories/Keywords

Back to topics list
[post:513#5026]
Rebecca

04/28/2011 12:29 PM

Reviews: 23

@Devil Doll in 5014 wrote: Also, the Genre entries "Cyberpunk", "Steampunk", and "Western" might be better assigned to the "Setting" group as they're more about the content/setting than the narration style of the story.

I agree, I've moved those over. And if anyone has any opinions on how different keywords should be grouped, please bring that up here. That is, what constitutes a Genre, a Setting, a Demographic or a Style. And if there should be more ways of breaking out keywords, I'd love to do those too.

Just glancing, I'd propose that "Kid at heart" is not a demographic and is more of a style or perhaps should even just be demoted to being a keyword.

[post:513#5030]
Devil Doll

04/29/2011 01:44 AM

Reviews: 365

"omake" sounds like it should belong to types rather than keywords.

And perhaps make all keywords of the http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/KeywordsDefined#Objectionable list a separate group?

[post:513#5033]
Rebecca

04/29/2011 10:42 AM

Reviews: 23

Omake I've moved. I've created the objectionable category and put most of those keywords in it. I did not, however, put the keywords denoting same-sex relationships in it. While some people may find them objectionable, I object to marking them as such.

I've also modified the edit page to use the came categories as the main page. =p

And while I was there I noticed that the keyword editing is bugged in Firefox 4.

Edited on 04/29/2011 10:55 AM.

[post:513#5039]
Devil Doll

04/29/2011 08:05 PM

The "Keywords" group looks a lot like the "also-rans" of the categories - perhaps we can eliminate this one completely? Let's try:

• "Anime-Manga Bundle" is a release method of the anime product, and as such a Type like OVA or ONA.
  • "Live Action" equals "no anime at all", and might thus also be a Type.
  • "Gun-Action" sounds much like "Swordplay", the latter being a Story Element.
  • "Computers" sounds like another Story Element, much like "Music" or "Mecha".
  • The four same-gender keywords (if not being objectionable) also sound like Story Elements to me (rather this than Character Abilities), then being together with "Otaku Theme" and "Family Affairs".
  • If "Tenchi Clone" is a Story Element and Location, why would "Evang*lion Clone" be anything else?
  • There's a pair of keywords - "Dating-Sim Spin-Off" and "Video-game inspired" (not sure what's the difference as a Dating-Sim is a video game) that doesn't tell a lot about the anime (maybe except for the narration style but this can be misleading - Kanon (2006) and Amagami SS are both Dating Sim Spin-Offs) but about it's original source. I've seen other anime databases having "Source: Manga" or "Source: Visual Novel" or even "Source: Original Work" etc. to express source information for the story; CAR only has these two so far thus they ended up being merged into a larger tags group. (I'm not sure how important this information would be if set correctly albeit I do remember a few of the most serious good stories I watched being based on novels or being original stories, as opposed to manga adaptions, the latter often suffering from being incomplete at the time of animation and thus rarely ever providing a reasonable ending.)
  • There's a group of keywords - "sequel", "spinoff", "spinoff-sequel", "reboot", and perhaps "Series in a Series", all of which give information about the relative position of an anime within a franchise. That's a bit similar to "Type" but not exactly the same; if this were to become a new group I'd like to have it directly below "Type" within the layout.
  • Which would leave the oddball "Comedy Fantasy" which I don't really understand (as it has no keyword description); is this any different from "Comedy" + "Fantasy"?
With "Keywords" being eliminated we might perhaps want to check whether Story Elements and Location would call for any plausible substructure; perhaps make the "Locations" ("Elementary School", "Middle School", "High School", "College", and... "Underworld"!?) a new group, to be inserted below "Setting"? This would then leave just "Story Elements" for the then remaining largest group.

Edited on 04/29/2011 08:11 PM.

[post:513#5435]
Devil Doll

10/24/2011 09:01 PM

Recently added keywords: Both "noitaminA" and "CG animation" sound like they're something similar to "Korean Wave", i. e. a Style.

[post:513#5461]
Ggultra2764

12/01/2011 07:22 PM

Reviews: 2354

I think "Anthology" should be added as a Keyword within the listing of Styles considering we have several anime titles that are essentially a series of shorts depicting self-contained stories with some being based on Japanese literary works. Here's a small list of titles that I can think of off hand that would fit this list.

1. Aoi Bungaku Series
  2. The Animatrix
  3. Rumic Theater
  4. Digital Juice
  5. Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror
  6. MEMORIES
  7. Robot Carnival

[post:513#5462]
Devil Doll

12/02/2011 10:39 AM

"Anthology" looks reasonable. (Does it imply "episodic"? Do you have a description text at hand?)

New keyboards go into the "Keyword" subset at first; moving them to "Style" requires Rebecca to manually change the subset definitions. (Perhaps we should ask for a complete cleanup of this "Keyword" subset as suggested a few posting above this one?)

[post:513#5464]
Ggultra2764

12/02/2011 12:09 PM

Reviews: 2354

"A collection of one-shot stories or animated shorts compiled together into a TV series, OAV or movie which run on a common theme and have little to no narrative connection with one another. In most cases, works within an anthology are developed by different animation teams and are usually based on different sources of literary material and media such as short stories, movies and one-shot manga."

Will this be workable?

[post:513#5465]
Devil Doll

12/02/2011 02:20 PM

Anthology created.

("Ani*Kuri15", "Seishun Anime Zenshuu", "Twilight Q" and "Meikyū Monogatari" are not yet present at CAR; Halo Legends and Genius Party are here already. Kigeki seems to be one part of an Anthology.)

Suggested reading: http://guriguriblog.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/anime-anthologies/

Edited on 12/02/2011 02:36 PM.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org