DONE: Category request: Kemonomimi

Back to topics list
[post:492#4794]
NekoShana

12/12/2010 08:46 AM

Reviews: 5

Hiya. I for one would like it if one could search for animes with kemonomimi characters (characters with animal ears and/or tails) in it like cat-girls/boys (those are called kemonomimi arent they?) I have a very soft spot for catgirls since i am one (in my heart atleast) so it would make it a bit easier to find animes with these kinds of characters in them. There are a good deal of them so wouldnt be totaly wasted i think.

[post:492#4795]
Stretch

12/12/2010 11:23 AM

Reviews: 2064

I have no objection, though Jan-chan or Devil Doll do most of the housekeeping around here. If all else fails, you could create a 'Kemonomimi scrapbook', sort of like the Kendo Girl Scrapbook or Screaming Anime Characters.

[post:492#4796]
NekoShana

12/12/2010 12:34 PM

Scrapbook? O_o Havent seen that before. Guess i could try that if they deny me my request. Just need to figure out how to make one at that point then.

[post:492#4797]
Stretch

12/12/2010 01:14 PM

Reviews: 2064

Well, you don't really need permission... As I understand it, this website belongs to whoever contributes in a responsible manner. It's more a matter of asking a 'would this be a good idea' question (like you did), then hearing out what the other members have to say before you act. Or something like that.

[post:492#4798]
Devil Doll

12/12/2010 05:04 PM

Reviews: 365

I'm not into this kind of anime (my playground is this one) but I guess it would be possible to name five of these, which I usually consider sufficient to reward a keyword (so that a visitor using that keyword won't be disappointed by the result). The ↗Wikipedia page for the term might be a source for the category description text. (Would Sawatari Makoto qualify, being a kitsune after all? The description text should answer such questions.) Wikipedia even provides a list of kemonomimi anime and a list of catgirls both of which might contain enough anime to start with. The Kemonomimi keyword I have already added (as it can easily be removed again, unlike Wiki entries).

I added a few anime to the Kemonomimi category but during the process I began to wonder about a more specific limitation, such as perhaps "a kemonomimi being one of the lead characters". For example, Da Capo and Kannazuki no Miko both have a cat girl as side character who isn't that relevant for the story... would this disapoint someone looking for these characters?

A kemonomimi scrapbook for these might work fine given that it is a visual attribute. What you need for this is a Wiki entry named something like Kemonomimi parade (that will come into existence once someone saves any content there) and a bunch of images. Uploading the latter is kind of a problem as CAR doesn't have a dedicated upload area so we tend to (ab)use episode entries of anime for this purpose (of which I tend to use alphanumerical names to make it easier to tell them apart from real episode numbers).

Edited on 12/12/2010 06:11 PM.

[post:492#4799]
NekoShana

12/12/2010 06:25 PM

If ur asking if Sawatari Makoto would fit under Kemonomimi then based on that picture no, since I in that picture dont se any animal ears or tail or other any other animal trait. I havent seen Kanon so i dont know but if the character allways or often display animal traits then yes. I (see avatar) go under Kemonomimi with my cat ears and tail that you dont see :3 Inukami and Kyouran Kazoku Nikki would go under kemonomimi as well. Youko in Inukami allways has her fox tail out and Kyouka has cat ears and tail. Asobi Ni Ikuyo is a perfect example as well as Mayoi Neko Overrun and Words Worth. Mashiro from Tayutama is another one. Tenko in Wagaya no Oinari-sama often has her fox ears out. Riza in Kaibutsu Oujo transform her arms into warewolf ones when she fights. Thought i havent seen it; Loveless if i understand the description correctly.

Must admit that im not sure about Tsukuyomi Moonphase and Strike Witches thought considering Hazuki uses a pair of nekomimi and in strike witches its part of there combat suits? So there not "real" kemonomimi i guess altough i would still like this to be taged as well as there show regulary. In general i want a tag for animes where characters regulary display animal traits.

Edit: I see. Yes i would say that there should be a limit as for how often it is seen in the anime. I wouldnt count it if its a pair of nekomimi that a character uses for 5 mins in 1 episode. If its a side character then he/she should be regulary seen over the entire anime. Is what i think atleast. Edit2: Took a look just now and saw quite a few animes i hadent seen before. Will help me quite a bit for my Kemonomimi-fix!

Edit3: (alot of edits) Ur question is valid and made me pounder. Riza in Kaibutsu Oujo i guess would be is questionable since she dosnt appear in all the episodes i think (gonna have to rewatch). Same with Eineus in Macademi Wasshoi. This is abit off a jam heh

Edited on 12/12/2010 07:29 PM.

[post:492#4800]
Devil Doll

12/12/2010 09:40 PM

Sawatari Makoto never has cat ears or the like - but she is a fox demon, and she has been seen in her original shape as a young fox years before the main story of Kanon takes place.
Feel free to specify your definition of Kemonomimi in more detail (which includes editing the category description text), and remove the category from anime you don't think it should apply to.

[post:492#4801]
NekoShana

12/14/2010 01:01 PM

I think its pretty much perfect as it is. It should be clear with this line there as well:

" (such as ears or tails; these attributes must be visible, being an animal spirit etc. by nature would not suffice) " Dont know who added it but is perfect. Only thing left is, as you said, a specific limitation as for how often these characters appear in the anime to validate the tag. I was thinking of adding: "Kemonomimi characters must appear frequently to validate this tag" but thats a pretty lose limitation. Any ideas?

[post:492#4802]
Devil Doll

12/14/2010 11:48 PM

We can improve these texts incrementally.

On the What's New page you can see who has been editing which entries here. You could do this as well, by clicking on "Edit" (upper left) on the wiki entry with the same name as the keyword. (Wiki entries have a history feature in the CAR database, all changes can be undone easily so there's no danger of accidentally damaging anything valuable.)

Edited on 12/14/2010 11:50 PM.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org