DONE: Category suggestion: Family Business

Back to topics list
[post:483#4528]
Devil Doll

09/26/2010 10:24 PM

Reviews: 365

I would like to suggest a new Category keyword: "Family Business". This is meant to be a sub-category of "Drama" resp. "Tragedy" and deals seriously with significant issues within a family. This keyword is not very compatible with "Comedy" or "Ecchi". The show will probably be a "silent" drama, i. e. no "Action" and rarely ever Fantasy/SciFi elements.

The following events would qualify (I excluded "Incest" because it has its own keyword already):

• child abuse
  • child neglect
  • death of a family member (including lead characters being orphans)
  • serious illness of a family member (not including the main characters themselves but it must permanently affect family life)
  • divorce of parents / elopement of a parent (do Japanese stories know the concept of a "patchwork family"?)
The event must have happened to the family of at least one main character and have a significant impact on the story (up to the level of traumatizing that character). The event may have happened in the past but the effect on the lead character(s) must be ongoing in present time.

Suggested anime for this category (in case of franchises I only listed the starting part): It would not include:
  • Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (the leads are not relatives of Haruka)
  • Wind: A Breath of Heart TV (Makoto & Hinata are orphans - but this isn't relevant for the fantasy/horror story)
  • Mai-HiME (Takumi's illness and its effect on Mai would qualify - but the issue is hardly relevant for the fantasy story)
  • Suzuka (traumatized lead by death of a close person - but that was no relative)
  • Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (the ill person is a lead character herself, the other lead isn't a relative)
Suggestions about the list of criteria and about qualifying anime are welcome.

Edited on 09/27/2010 09:53 AM.

[post:483#4529]
Jan-Chan

09/27/2010 12:30 PM

Reviews: 599

Family Business kind of makes me think of the local family store.

Perhaps Family Hardship, Family Tragedy, Family misfortune or Family trouble might be more descriptive.

[post:483#4532]
Xenoknight

09/27/2010 03:01 PM

Reviews: 244

Maybe Family Crisis, where all titles tagged would contain some degree of family oriented dilemma/predicament/quandary.

[post:483#4534]
Devil Doll

09/27/2010 03:55 PM

Of these suggestions I'd like "Family Trouble" best (as it's vague about singular/plural), with "Family Hardship" being my second choice.

"Crisis" appears to hint at a current issue (while the actual crisis may have occurred in the past); "Tragedy" might be too hard for some cases (e. g. Love Hina which certainly isn't a tragedy) although it is close to my intention, plus we have that as keyword already. "Misfortune" may sound as if the protagonists aren't to blame which may be wrong in some cases (Aishiteruze Baby, Ai Yori Aoshi, Binbou Shimai Monogatari, Kono Aozora). "Dilemma" isn't what I'm going for as it implies a choice of sorts which may not be the case (orphans).

My own suggestion "Family Business" was inspired by http://lyrics.wikia.com/Fish:Family_Business. This song uses "Family Affairs" in its lyrics - would that be better than "Family Business"?

Any suggestions for anime titles of this category that I haven't seen yet?

[post:483#4584]
Devil Doll

10/11/2010 11:49 AM

Family Affairs set for all titles listed above plus their complete franchises, excluding parodies, hentai versions, and the alternate reality side arcs of Clannad.

Edited on 10/11/2010 11:51 AM.

Reply to this topic Start a new topic
Back to topics list

Community Anime Reviews

anime mikomi org